Posted By Diya Mool
August 6, 2023
Guest Speaker: Bailey Ryan
- she is currently leading an effort on a climate & sustainability exhibit
- she & her team is interested to know what our DOC NC members think and feel about the climate crisis, what experiences in your life got you involved in environmental work/action, and how the museum can help young visitors get interested in this topic to build a sustainable future
- she had a discussion with DOC NC members about ideas for a new exhibit at the Museum of Life and Science
- Leadership Retreat
- the purpose was to discuss ideas for new initiatives, make a calendar of existing events, and for leadership team members to get to know each other better
- Duke Children’s Miracle Network Fundraiser
- we successfully raised more than our goal of 1,500 dollars on July 22nd, and Walmart matched with 1,500, coming out to 3,000 dollars!
- DOC NC Social Impact Awards
- was August 4
- presented awards to those members who participated in the Summer Scholarship program as well as those who participated in Big Brother Big Sister and Duke Mentorship Programs
- The Legacy Project
- interviewing seniors in the community to pass on their legacy to future generations
- interview so far: 5
- most recent interview – July 23rd ( Dr. Dhruv Kumar & Mrs. Kumar)
- contact: Arsh or Shaurya if interested!
- Little Library Installations
- installed four little libraries in Morrisville and Apex and have two more installations to go
- the next installation is September 3rd, 2023, at Morrisville Community Playground
- Cedar Fork Program
- ongoing summer camp
- resuming in September
- sign-ups are coming soooon
- contact: Anvita or Shaurya if you are interested in helping out with future sessions
- Eco-Friendly Bag stitching workshop with the Boomerang Bag Team in Durham
- takes old shirts and sows into bags and gives them out at grocery shops for rising high schoolers/ high schoolers on Sept 16th (1-4)
- Lazy Daze
- August 26th / 27th
- henna, facepainting, handling the cash register, talking to customers, etc
- $$$ will go towards the NC state park for their outdoor adventure program
- Litter Sweep + Monthly Meeting
- October 8 – 2:30-5:30
- present the check for $5000 towards the canoe
- CAP (Climate Action Plan) Competition
- Three competitions where members in maximum groups of 2 will compete to win and get their work published on DOC NC’s social media, website, etc.
- 1st competition: Art; using art such as drawing & painting to convey a message about a climate-related issue.
- 2nd competition: Storytelling; using poems, narratives, etc., to convey a message about a climate-related issue
- 3rd competition: Create your climate action plan for your community to make it sustainable. Participants will do a business presentation on the idea
- More information and sign-ups will be sent soon.
- DOC NC 101
- monthly mentorship sessions teaching DOC NC and external members of the community ex. Senior citizens about a new topic each month ex. finance, mental health, cybersecurity, and sustainability. Kicking off with climate action plan topics and adding more each month
- the first few sessions will be guidance on the CAP competition and mentoring if needed, for groups participating
- Trivia (Smera & Trisha)
- DOC NC members participated in fun trivia questions led by Smera & Trisha
- questions were on climate as well as general trivia questions
- the winner was … Anika!!!
Let us know if you have questions!