Posted By Diya Mool
March 5, 2023
Happy happy March! So much planned for DOCNC 🙂
What is DOC NC?
- DOC NC, or Dedicated to our community of North Carolina, is a local non-profit that raises funds for a different organization each year. In the past, we have fundraised for Big Brothers Big Sisters of the Triangle, Duke PBMT, and the Suhanee Foundation. You can visit docnc.org to learn more!
- Climate Change Summit (2/20/2023)
- 8 of our DOC NC members attended the Youth Climate Summit hosted by the Museum of Life and Sciences
- Learned about resource conservation, climate change, and how urban planning affects climate change
- The Legacy Project
- Arsh and Shaurya have been leading the legacy project, where DOC NC students interview seniors in our community.
- Held first interview on January 16th and spoke with Dr. Bal and Dr. Brij Agarwal and the second Legacy Project interview was held recently on February 26. The following interview will be on March 19.
- Contact firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com if you’re interested in learning more.
- Jordan Lake Litter Sweep
- Will come out and volunteer (litter pickup) and the other team will be canoeing. Will have the opportunity to learn about Jordan Lake and parks and recreation.
- We will be raising $2500 for the Outdoor Youth Adventure program
- On June 4th we will be going to Jordan lake and learning about water conservations, taking a canoe ride, and having a potluck! The sign-up will be coming out around May.
- Little Library Installation
- We installed three Little Libraries and are planning on installing six more.
- We are currently working on building the frame of the Little Library and the instillation will be on March 18th
- We also have an art workshop on March 18th where DOC NC kids and parents will be painting the Little Libraries
- Duke Mentorship Program
- For high school students. Duke Nicholas School of Environment is mentoring students on how to teach K-5 students about sustainability such as recycling.
- First meeting with them was after the Senior Luncheon.
- DOC NC Students will start teaching elementary school students soon.
- Indian Creek Playground Litter Sweep
- March 18th in the morning
- Will clean up the Indian Creek Playground
- Signup genius will be sent out soon! There is an additional form as well that new members have to fill out to participate.
- Cedar Fork Program
- Shaurya and Anvita will be leading a group that will teach students (K-5) about astronomy on February 13th. Will continue to teach kids about fun topics. If anyone is interested email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Apex Earth Fest
- On April 22nd we will be having a Health Food and Climate change booth, we need 8 volunteers and 2 adults to help out
- The Healthy food booth will teach how to incorporate healthy habits into your day-to-day lives with charts and different foods to try. We need help with research and planning for the booth. If you would like to help contact Ishani at 919-579-9091. Text your name and your number, this is open for middle school kids as well!
- The climate change booth will have fun activities for little kids to teach them about environmental issues such as your carbon footprint.
- Apex Peakfest and Spring Daze
- Face Painting and Henna at the booth!
- Meeting with all the volunteers about cleanliness and hygiene as painting faces and skin.
- Signup genius is coming out soon!
- Elections and Picnic (will be on June 3rd!)
- Maximum age is rising Junior in High School to run for office since you must serve two years to run.
- Will give a speech for all positions.
- Decision will be made on the same day.
- Summer Scholorship Opportunity
- DOC NC members will apply for the opportunity through an application
- Decide on a summer project targeted towards underprivileged kids, seniors, or education as a whole
- After the project they will write a blog/ reflection talking about what they did, learned, and how it helped the demographic.
- Spend at least 40 hours doing your project and you will need a recommendation letter as well as pictures of your volunteering in the application.
- Win a $250 scholarship!
**remember key word Pineapple for next month’s meeting 🙂 Thank you for reading!!
You can find DOCNC on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/DOCofNC/) and Instagram (https://www.instagram.com/doc_nc/). Be sure to check out our awesome website as well: https://docnc.org/.