Posted By Diya Mool
September 10th, 2022
Meeting Minutes for September 10th, 2022 w/ the Team
Hi everyone! Hope everyone is enjoying the first few weeks of the new school year. Thank you to all those who came today!
What is DOC NC?
- DOC NC, or Dedicated to our community of North Carolina, is a local non-profit that raises funds for a different organization each year. In the past, we have fundraised for Big Brothers Big Sisters of the Triangle, Duke PBMT, and the Suhanee Foundation. You can visit docnc.org to learn more!
- Lazy Daze
- We raised over $3000! Awesome job to all the members who came to help out with the event. We had henna and face painting at our station. Look out for more events with similar
- Little Library Project w/ Town of Morrsiville
- A project to help increase reading within the community by building accessible little libraries which people can borrow and give to.
- We will install the libraries on September 25th! More details to come.
- Government 101 Classes
- Anvita (firstname.lastname@example.org) is leading monthly classes to teach DOCNC members of all ages about how our government functions and how we can make an impact within our community through being engaged in civic duties.
- Starting September 11th
- Meeting link for September 11th: https://meet.google.com/qit-kwgq-rfg
- Luncheon w/ Police & Fire Dept. of Morrisville
- Will share a meal together and honor those who are working to protect within the community. Will occur in October/November. More details to come!
- Duke Nicholas School of Environment Partnership
- Highschool members will get the opportunity to be mentored by Grad students in the Duke Nicholas School of Environment. The highschool members will then educate those K-5 about what they’re learning.
- Recycling App Building
- Currently working with Coder Dojo to make an app for the Town of Morrisville to help increase recycling within the city. Need more committed members to help weekly with the project. Reach out to email@example.com with questions.
- You can still apply to shadow one of the leadership team members to learn about how to organize meetings, create content, and more!
- Please apply at Leadership Shadowing Applications
- Be Your Own Leader Month
- “Be your own leader” month is a DOCNC tradition where members get the opportunity to raise funds for current projects. Usually members will set a fundraising goal and lead an event to reach that goal. If you are interested in leading an event and would like some help/advice from the leadership team feel free to reach out to Sarayu (firstname.lastname@example.org) and Somya (email@example.com).
Guest Speaker: Shruti Dubey (Ironwoman)
- Completed a half-iron man!
- Swimming 1.2 miles, biking 56 miles, and running 13.1 miles.
- Had no prior experience with athletics and specifically swimming and had also gotten into a bike accident but persisted and got over her fears to accomplish her goal.
- “Until you try, you won’t know what your limit is.”
As always, if you have any questions feel free to reach out at firstname.lastname@example.org! Also you can find DOCNC on facebook (https://www.facebook.com/DOCofNC/) and instagram (https://www.instagram.com/doc_nc/). Be sure to check out our awesome website as well: https://docnc.org/.
– Pari (she/her/hers) 🙂